- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 bulb finely chopped garlic
- 2 small fennel bulbs, quartered and thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes, with their liquid
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 6 (5-ounce) tilapia fillets
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add fennel and leeks and cook for 3 minutes more. Add salt and pepper, 1 cup water, tomatoes, wine and saffron and simmer for 5 minutes.
Push vegetables to the side, arrange fillets in the skillet, then cover with vegetables. Cover skillet and simmer over low heat until fish is just cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve fish with vegetables and broth spooned over the top.
Per Serving:210 calories (30 from fat), 3.5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 70mg cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 30g protein